Monday, October 10, 2011

Halloween PEEPS Topiary


When you can't get enough of your favorite marshmallow PEEPS,  there's one more way to enjoy them and not add any of the calories!

Try making your own PEEPS topiary for Halloween.  It's pretty simple to do and you can follow along with my pictures to see how really easy it is.  All you need to do is decide what PEEPS to use and then gather the rest of the materials to put the topiary together.

Instructions follow...


Miscellaneous Supplies
Supplies:  PEEPS  3-4 packages depending on their size
(buy double if you plan to do the backside of your hoop)

6 inch Embroidery hoop (plastic or wood)
Hot glue
12 inch wood dowel
Container- About a 5x5 size
Styrofoam to fill container
Candy or colored cellophane grass to cover the styrofoam
Scissors

Paints:
DECO ART "Tangerine" if using pumpkin PEEPS.
White paint or any color of your choice cover the hoop and the dowel or you can wrap it in ribbon for a different look.
Other paint colors you will need for touching up the PEEPS colors you purchase.



Begin by removing the screw pin on the embroidery hoop and place the dowel in between the metal supports. Hot glue the dowel to the hoop.  Let glue dry completely. 



Then paint the hoop and dowel white or the color of your choice.




Next do a dry run with the placement of your PEEPS before gluing them to the hoop.  In order for the PEEPS to fit well on mine, I decided to have a pumpkin in between my ghosts, but needed to remove one ghost on each side of my hoop. Then I began gluing them to the front side to the hoop. 


This picture shows the back side where I added more glue to secure them even more.  Be sure to let the glue harden up well.



Now they are all placed and ready for some touch up paint.  As I stated before, DECO ART
"Tangerine" is almost the same color as the pumpkins.  Paint in the areas where the white marshmallow is showing. 



Next, cut your piece of styrofoam to fit your container.  You will probably notice that the topiary is top heavy at this point.  You may need to place some rocks or a piece of wood in the bottom to help with the balance of the topiary. 

Next you will want to hot glue the dowel into the styrofoam.  But first stick the dowel down into the foam and then remove it.  Then with the glue gun, squeeze a lot of glue into the dowel hole and then immediately place the dowel into the hole.  Be sure to check that it is straight and level before the glue sets.  Now set it aside to harden well.

During this time I carefully painted my skull white since it was purple and I liked a white skull better for this project.

Here's my finished PEEPS topiary with candy corn to cover the foam and a nice ribbon to finish it off.  Oh wait, I can't forget to mention my little furry friend!  HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

4 comments:

  1. Are you kidding e? This is absolutely adorable (and so creative!) I simply must try my hand at thi. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness this is so cute! would love it if you come by and share it at share it one more time....http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2012/09/are-you-in-mood-to-party-share-it-one.html
    Hope to see you there....I am so going to do this for my mom she LOVES peeps! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane,
    Just stopping by to say Thank you for linking up to http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2012/09/one-more-time-link-party-and-features.html
    and to say Congratulations you have been featured.

    Thank you again and hope to see you at the next party
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super cute project! I love it. Megan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments!

I love reading your comments.
Thank you for each and every one!