Saturday, February 25, 2012

Chocolate Covered Crispy Peanut Butter Balls

Back before Christmas while staying at my girlfriend's house, she had a yummy spread of homemade goodies for us to munch on. Everything looked so tasty but when she said, "These here are peanut butter balls" my mouth said "YES!"
Here's a recipe from Allrecipes.com that I used to make mine which apparently is a pretty common one after researching for Peanut Butter Balls on the internet.  You may be wondering why I didn't get the recipe from my girlfriend while I was there???  Well after she told me what the ingredients were and how simple it was, I figured it was just as easy to look it up on the web. 
Well it appears there are many variations of Peanut Butter Balls out there, but the recipe I used is like the one my girlfriend made which includes Rice Krispies.  I just love these peanut butter balls because of the slight crunch they have inside.  Must go get one right now after all this talk about them!


Simple ingredients is all it takes and lucky for me I still had some rice krispy cereal left over from my Valentine Rice Krispy Treats I had just recently made.  Here's a few pics while making the recipe.


 Melt the peanut butter and butter over low heat.


In a large bowl mix the cereal and the powdered sugar together.

                          
Next, mix the melted peanut butter mixture into the rice krispy mixture.  This actually took a little more time than I thought to get it all mixed up well due to it's density.



After the mix is stirred well, measure 1 level tablespoon and roll it into a ball.  My balls measured about 1 inch.  Now the recipe I used yielded 24 servings, so after making a total of 75 balls, I figure that's about 3 balls a serving.  Then it's into the fridge for about an hour to firm up.


Last step was to melt the chocolate in a double boiler on very low heat.  
I then took two teaspoons, one in each hand and tossed the balls until covered.  To coat the balls I kind of use a back and forth method with the ball from one teaspoon to the other until the excess chocolate had dripped off, and then I placed it on the cookie sheet.  Once all the balls were done I placed them into the refrigerator again to firm up.

If you are interested in making these, here's the recipe I used.   
RECIPE NOTE: I had to use a second bag of chocolate chips after covering only 36 balls. After I finished coating the rest of the balls I still had a little chocolate left over, so I quickly got out some marshmallows (again left over from my Valentine Rice Krispy Treats) and dipped away. Finishing touches were some colored sprinkles on top.  These are great for adding to hot chocolate or just a simple, sweet treat!
Chocolate dipped marshmallows


3 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,
    You have been tagged ... have fun!
    http://cinnamonrosecottage.blogspot.com/2012/02/blog-tagim-it.html

    My mom makes these and they are delicious!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a good thing I just discovered them!!!

      Delete

I love reading your comments.
Thank you for each and every one!