Friday, February 17, 2012

Crochet School Graduate



After learning how to crochet with Craftyminx Crochet School I have now completed a few small projects so far and I even ended up using some of them for my 2011 Christmas gifts.  I really surprised myself because I never thought at my age (double nickels), I would ever learn to crochet! 

Dana at Craftyminx.com makes learning to crochet so easy with her online course. You are able to learn at your own pace, which for me (and I'm sure for many others with busy lives) is a big convenience!  Another plus is that all the lessons are available at any time for reference if needed.  I know I have had to go back and review a lesson or two since I began!

Before starting the Craftyminx crochet class, I joined a website called Ravelry to get inspired with learning how to crochet and knit. I guess it worked!  I am enjoying using their site to log my projects, my yarn stash, (which is now multiplying like rabbits) and also meet others who enjoy the art of crochet.

Growing up with many relatives who crocheted, I was fortunate to receive many gifts over the years.  Along with a few blankets and potholders, I still have a dress my aunt crocheted for me back in the seventies.  Harvest gold (of course!) and believe it or not I had a harvest gold slip to wear underneath it too! 

The hanger my dress is on is also from one of my great aunts.  I am still using many of these hangars today after so many years ago of receiving them.  I have tried to figure out the crochet pattern on them to try and make some of my own, but since I can't, I decided to design a granny square covered hangar (a pattern I know how to do now) using store bought padded hangers.

          It's pretty simple and doesn't take too long to make. 



What I did here to make the hangar was crochet three 5 inch granny squares, using 4 colors per square, and using an H hook. Then I whip stitched all three squares together lengthwise and placed the center square over the metal hook of a white padded hanger. Then again I used a whip stitch to connect the remaining edges along the bottom. Super easy and a great way to use up any smaller amounts of yarn you may have stashed yourself!
The granny quare pattern  I used for this hanger was from Craftyminx Crochet School Granny Squares 101 lesson.

Also, If you'd like to view some of my latest crochet projects on Ravelry, click here and see what I've been up to.

4 comments:

  1. I found you on Linky followers and am now following you! Please visit my page when you have a chance http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That crochet hanger and top looks just gorgeous!!Super WOW :)Your new follower on GFC and Linky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...I appreciate the kind words!

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments!

I love reading your comments.
Thank you for each and every one!