Friday, March 23, 2012

Burlap Desk Blotter


I Finally Jumped On The Burlap Bandwagon!

Today I finally decided to get around to making a custom size desk blotter that I have wanted for a long time.  This big oak desk I have isn't used much and it always looks so empty most of the time, so I figured adding a cute desk blotter would fill in that lonesome space. 

Follow along for the tutorial.


Here is a pic of some of the supplies I used. 

Supplies
Large mat board and poster board pieces for base
Black mat board for insert
Tape Measure
brown wrapping paper
Pencil
Scissors
Tape
Hot glue
Burlap roll measures 5 1/2 wide...I recently bought this at Michael's and figured one day I would get around to using it.  Glad I remembered I had it!

My mat board measures 20x36
First I doubled the brown wrapping paper and folded it over the mat board and secured it with tape on the backside.  No need to cover the mat board completely.  This paper is just  to give the blotter a little padding.


       Next I measured and cut two 4x20 inch strips of poster board that will be covered with burlap and attached on each side.       


Here I measured and cut a 5 1/2 x 23 inch strip of the burlap so it would be about 1 1/2 inches longer on each end than the cardboard strip before gluing it down.


Kind of a lousy shot here, but basically I glued the long side of the piece of burlap as close to the edge of the long side of the cardboard piece.



Next I folded back the burlap (right near the edge I just glued down) and then I attached the opposite side of the poster board strip to the mat board piece at the outside edge.


Then I turned the whole piece over and hot glued down all three sides of the burlap to the mat board.


Repeat for the right side.



After finishing the burlap part on both sides, my blotter is almost finished.


Here it is with the black mat board inserted and finished!


Linking to:


The Girl Creative






 Viewers: If you missed this on my sidebar, don't forget to check out HIP 2 Save!
 It's not your Grandma's coupon site!

 I am always getting free samples or really good discounts on tons of items! I want you to share in the fun and I'm not being paid to advertise this either!

Lot's of Freebies and more! Check it out!


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I need one of these! Love yours!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I like what you did with burlap. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my door post. I am loving it! I also host a weekly party...you should link your burlap to it! Thanks again and I am your newest follower, waiting to see what you make next!
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane! Oh, this is so cute! I have to admit, I've nothing burlap.
    Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea, I love burlap!. Thanks for coming to see me and the sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments!

I love reading your comments.
Thank you for each and every one!