Monday, April 30, 2012

Cinco De Mayo Soup



I think most of us are always looking for an excuse to celebrate and have a good time.  Nothing wrong with that!  But back in the day for me, the 5th of May was just like any other day.  And then somewhere down the line (and I can't remember just when...probably after turning 21) this Mexican celebration became another excuse to do a little celebrating ourselves.  And now today it's full blown...I'm all for it!


But just in case you are feeling like celebrating Cinco De Mayo at home, I'm passing along an easy and delicious soup recipe from my girlfriend's recipe box that you can quickly throw together.  Of course this soup is also delicious for any day of the year! 

 CINCO DE MAYO SOUP

2 T. OLIVE OIL

3 GARLIC CLOVES MINCED

½ ONION CHOPPED

3 CANS CHICKEN BROTH (15OZ. EACH)

3 T GREEN CHILIES, DICED OR TABASCO SPLASH

2- 11 OZ. CANS CORN NIBLETS, (RINSED AND DRAINED)

2- 15 OZ. CANS DICED TOMATOES, (DO NOT DRAIN)

2- 15 OZ. CANS BLACK BEANS, (RINSED AND DRAINED)

1 ½ TSP. SALT

½ TSP. PEPPER

DIRECTIONS
IN LARGE POT SAUTE ONION & GARLIC IN OIL ON LOW FOR 10 MINUTES.  ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS AND SIMMER FOR 30 MINUTES. ADD GARNISH BEFORE SERVING.

GARNISHES:
FRESH LIME, CHOPPED CILANTRO, AVOCADO, SOUR CREAM, TORTILLA CHIPS.

 ENJOY!


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I've never celebrated Cinco de Mayo, but there's always a first time for everything, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane,

    Thanks! I can't wait to make the soup.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serve it with salad and bread and you're all set!

      Delete
  3. This sounds soooo good. I want it now, but I'm going to wait and make it May cinco. Muchas gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I'll be right over! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds easy and looks delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your soup sounds delicious! I would have to substitute veggie stock for the chicken because my husband is allergic to chicken! Yes, I know, it's a weird allergy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would taste just as good with the veggie stock.

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments!

I love reading your comments.
Thank you for each and every one!