Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cinnamon Stick Firecrackers



While putting together a patriotic wreath many years ago I was looking for some kind of embellishment to add to it and I came up with cinnamon stick firecrackers. I recently made some more and added them to one of my silk plants to resemble sparkly fireworks. 

I have something to confess to those of you who don't know me
 and that is I am a full fledged fireworks freak!
Oh Yeah!
I love to shoot off fireworks on the fourth of July
and I always purchase enough to do them on New Year's Eve too! 

So now on to making 
Cinnamon Stick Firecrackers: 

To make these firecrackers all I used were cinnamon sticks purchased from a craft store and then painted them red, white and blue and antiqued them a little bit.  I also glued in a small piece of jute on one end for the fuse.  So easy and quick you will have plenty of time to make some yourself.  It's even fun for the kids to get involved too!



Don't you love my patriotic Uncle Sam?  I sure do!  He's been with me for over 8 years now and I love seeing him every year when I take him out along with all of my other patriotic decorations.  This wreath is where I added my first cinnamon stick firecrackers I made.
I designed and painted my Uncle Sam in my usual style which I call "coloring book style". I draw my design out on tracing paper, transfer the pattern to wood and then cut it out on my saw.  After sanding any rough edges I then add the line detail using a wood burning tool.  After that I paint in the colors leaving rough edges and I will even sand some more to really age it.  The last step is antiquing and varnishing. 
If you take a look at my Santa Ornament 2011 you'll see in the tutorial how I design, cut and paint my wood pieces.

In the coming weeks I will be posting a few more of my favorite patriotic decorations.  Stay tuned!


I'm linking to these fun parties at:


all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {6 26}






What's cooking, love?

No Minimalist Here

The Shabby Nest


26 comments:

  1. How stinkin' cute! I love your clever cinnamon stick firecrackers. You did a super job painting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina! I'm in my patriotic groove right now.

      Delete
  2. Your so clever! Your firecrackers are smoking hot. lol I love your wreath.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well how handy dandy are those firecrackers? They look great!!!! Would love to try them when I get a moment. Ha! One of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the friendliest-looking Uncle Sam I've ever seen. I love him! The cinnamon stick firecrackers are inspired. You are so creative! I can't wait to see more of your Independence Day decor. I'm heading over to your patriotic link party now to see what's been added since I visited last time. I bought some supplies this week for my link entry, and will be working away on them this weekend. Your 4th of July decor and party idea rocks, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel! Next to Christmas decorations my favorites are patriotic. When I was a decorative painting instructor I was always known for teaching the patriotic items. I've always been that way and I guess that's why I am having the Patriotic Link Party.

      Delete
  5. What a darling idea! Just love it. And, unlike you, I'm scared to death of firecrackers ... I guess my mother put the fear of God in me about them when I was younger!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I'm sure my mom did the same but somehow I lost the fear. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Hi Diane! Oh, this is just a wonderful idea! Your little firecrackers are so cute and you're the most amazing! Love your little Uncle Sam also.
    Have a marvelous Memorial Day weekend.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelia! Glad you got to stop by again! Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  7. Wow Diane - you've been doing loads of patriotic stuff - I especially love the firecrackers, and the fact that you painted each one slightly differently. Very ingenious !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! I am on a roll!!!

      Delete
  8. I LOVE your firecracker cinnamon sticks! So cute and clever!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...Glad you stopped in!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh! I'm in love with those firecrackers! And so nifty too =)

    Visiting from Shabby Nest

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these! Thanks for a great idea!! I am a new follower, happy to have found you, stop by The Humblenest of Mrs V sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just stopped by your blog and enjoyed a few posts. Great stuff going on there! I'm now following you!

      Delete
  11. You know the great thing about using the sticks is that they each kind of have their own shape. So it makes it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute! What a great decoration for the 4th of July. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you at the next party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up to Showcase Your Talent Thursday, you have been featured! http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-your-talent-thursday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    I followed you over from What's Cooking, Love and would love to invite you to share this adorable 4th of July craft, and any others you would like to, at my Creative Thursday link party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. Have a great weekend.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane,
    I LOVE your blog! Especially your "Nothing at all" page :p You really should have comments on that page haha. These are the cutest firecrackers I've ever seen and I can't wait to make some for 4th of July this year. I'm so glad I convinced you to come on my to Creative Thursday last week and can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the cinnamon stick firecrackers!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.
Thank you for each and every one!