Friday, May 25, 2012

Patriotic Pillow Cover

While decorating for Memorial Day I decided to make a patriotic pillow cover for an existing pillow I have in my home.  I wanted to make it simple enough where I wasn't spending the day sewing away so I figured out an easy simple pillow design.

First I made the pillow cover with some muslin fabric I had recently purchased.  I sewed the cover using the pillow sham method I use most often and shared recently in a post for making pet beds for donation.  Click here to see that tutorial.

After making the pillow cover I cut out a rectangular piece of red burlap and also printed out a basic star shape from my printing program.


Next I worked on the star by ironing on some Wonder-Under transfer fusing web to the wrong side of a square scrap of navy blue fabric.  Once the fabric was cool I pinned the star pattern to the Wonder-Under and began cutting out the star shape.


Next step was to peel off the paper and then iron the star to the red burlap.




Like I said before I wanted a simple and quick project so I used my rusty look safety pins and attached the burlap on each corner to the pillow sham.


Since the burlap is only pinned to the sham I can easily change out different panels for other holidays. But for now until July 4th I will enjoy my patriotic pillow cover!


 So here it is!  Simple and easy and ready for Memorial Day!


Linking to:







14 comments:

  1. I love that you can change the front panel with other holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saves room in the closets! LOL! I hate storing pillows!

      Delete
  2. I love the red burlap on the pillow. Too cute! The firecrackers in the previous post are really cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love red and it was the perfect choice with all this burlap craziness going on!

      Delete
  3. It goes so perfectly tucked in on that bench. It looks very nice..
    A great vignette for Memorial
    Day!
    Have a nice week-end.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!! The pillow looks great on your bench!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Diane! Oh, this is so cute and you are so clever!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How smart to pin the burlap on the pillow so you can change it. I've never seen red burlap, and I LOVE it. This is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this pillow! Great idea to just switch off the panel for different holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane! I shared your patriotic pillow today on my 4th of July Favorites. My Pinterest is full of your cute 4th of July projects. I almost posted all of them, but then thought maybe that would be kind of stealing your thunder. So I'm sending everyone over to your link party to see them instead! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments!

I love reading your comments.
Thank you for each and every one!