Thursday, July 12, 2012

Frikadeller?

Some of you may know what the word "Frikadeller" is but I surely didn't until I recently took a road trip to Solvang, California.  After first arriving to this quaint Danish town, my girlfriends and I stopped to have a late lunch at The Solvang Brewing Company and on their menu we saw "Frikadeller Sliders".   Well we knew what sliders were, but Frikadeller?  None of us knew what that meant so of course we had to read on as to what it was.  Well the Danish have their own version of meatballs and that is what was on the slider.   So being in Solvang we figured we'd do what the locals do and that's eat frikadeller!

After enjoying that slider I had I wanted to try making frikadeller at home.  I Googled a few recipes and decided to use one from Allrecipes.com.  Click here for the recipe if you'd like to read about it and maybe you'd like to make some frikadeller for yourself.  To me they are a mild meatball made with veal and pork and just a few other ingredients.  The frikadeller slider we ate at the brewery had a remoulade on it, tilsit cheese and sauteed onions so it was much tastier than what I was fixing to have but since I wasn't making sliders I served mine with a gravy made from the pan drippings and a few seasonings to boost up the flavor.  Next time I make frikadeller I think I will make a traditional style hamburger patty and add the same ingredients as the brewery did.   It was awesome!


Hope you're enjoying your summer!
Thanks for stopping by!
Diane


Partying @

11 comments:

  1. What fun to take a trip with your friends!! I've never heard of a Frikadeller!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about Frikadellers either, but they do sound tasty! I'll bet you could do a lot of good posts about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a new word for me :) Your Frikadellers look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Diane :) Thank you for sharing these at All my Bloggy Friends this week! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
    2. Good morning, Diane! Thank you for sharing these at All my Bloggy Friends this week. Have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  4. I've never heard the word before, but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of Frikadeller before either! But they sure look tasty :) Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next. Have a great weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frikadeller does not sound like something delicious. But your description, recipe and image looks yummy! I am a huge hamburger fan! They should rename frikadeller "scrumptious gourmet hamburger with flavor enhancing toppings". Too long?... maybe! Thanks for expanding my culinary vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane,
    I visited this cute little town many years ago, and it looks like I should have had lunch here.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane! I've been to Solvang a couple of times but had never heard of a frikadeller! :) Sounds good an yours looks good too. I bought a cast iron ebelskiver pans and I just make cornbread or muffins in it! ;)
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this dish and it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments!

I love reading your comments.
Thank you for each and every one!