Monday, July 16, 2012

My Favorite Cornbread Recipe


Last night I decided to make cornbread to have with our BBQ and thought I would share the recipe I used with all of you.  I fell in love with this cornbread years ago at a favorite local restaurant and since I'm one to try making my favorite restaurant foods at home, I searched online for a clone and felt that this recipe came very close to the one I've always enjoyed. 


Bandera Cornbread (Clone)

Food.com
By Chef #352247 on March 12, 2008


4 Reviews
  • timer
  • Prep Time: 10 mins 
  • Total Time: 50 mins 
  • Serves: 16, Yield: 16 slices

About This Recipe

"Moist, sweet and amazing cornbread from the Bandera chain of restaurants owned by Hillstone Restaurant Group. To accurately clone the restaurant's version, use small (6") cast iron skillets, however this can just be made in one large 12" cast iron skillet."

Ingredients
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 4 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn
    • 2 ounces green chili peppers ( 1/2 small can, roasted style)
    • 1 cup butter
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese ( shredded)
    • 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese ( shredded)
    • 4 eggs

Directions:

Preheat oven & skillet to 300 degrees.

  1. Mix flour, cornmeal, salt & baking powder and set aside. Melt butter and combine with sugar, creamed corn and chili peppers. Mix to combine. Add eggs one-by one and mix until well blended. Add cheese. Fold-in flour mixture until mixed well, clumps are okay.
  2. Carefully remove cast iron skillet from oven and evenly coat top and sides with canola/vegetable oil. Pour in cornbread batter (be careful, it may splatter).
  3. Bake 30-45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
 NOTE: I use a 10 inch cast iron skillet and the batter fits perfect.  I cook the full 45 minutes @  275' in my convection oven.  Perfect every time!


Partying at:



27 comments:

  1. I have never tried to make cornbread. Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet cornbread - I'm getting out my cast iron skillet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds really good, and I want to try it. Your recipe has a lot of yummy extra ingredients, the cornbread I bake is just plain, but I reserve an iron skillet that is ONLY for my cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmm .... cornbread! Being from the South, I like mine sweet. Like Anita, I always make mine plain, too. Those add-ins sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane! Oh, I love cornbread and this looks so good! I've made a similar one with the creamed corn but yours sounds so much better with the cheese and all. Gotta try it.
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 10" cast iron skillet, and I'm making your cornbread this weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane,
    Hi! I have been wanting another corn bread recipe. I'm going to try yours.
    Silly me... I'm not going to wait until fall to post. I just wanted to tell you. Have a good day.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I contemplated making cornbread tonight and now I could kick myself! This looks and sounds amazing! I never heard of this restaurant before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh. Yummy licious! Must try! I'm going to pin it...oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for your prayers, Diane.
    You are a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, This looks scrumptious! I am such a cornbread fan! Have you ever toasted it in the toaster the morning after and had it for breakfast! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reminds me of the cornbread that used to be served at the Darryl's chain around here. I love a sweet, moist cornbread. This looks really delicious. Imagine it would be great this fall with chili. Pinning it to save.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so yummy!! this is a favorite with chili in our house...love just the thought of it!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh...I'm a cornbread lover and with cream corn in it, looks like I must try it. Thanks for the visit:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love me some cornbread and your recipe sounds delicious! I'll have to try it.
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love cornbread! This sounds a lot like a Mexican cornbread I've made in the past. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love cornbread and wonder if this recipe would work in my little BabyCakes machine. I've only used it for cake, but they say I can make cornbread balls in it too. I think I ought to give it a whirl because your recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon,

      I'm not familiar with the Baby Cakes machine. Could you try to make just one in the machine and see if it comes out? Then if it does you could continue to make more. And if not, just finish using the batter according to the recipe's instructions. This cornbread batter (is about the same as a cake batter) which can also be made in a well greased baking dish too if you don't happen to have a cast iron pan. Best of luck and thanks for coming by The Checkered Apple!

      Delete
  18. Yum! I love cornbread!!! Thanks for the recipe :)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love corn bread. I'll have to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks so yummy! Nothing better than sweet cornbread. I have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a great recipe. I think it would go well with chili during the upcoming season. Thanks for sharing and thanks for following my blog. Blessings, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this recipe, thanks for sharing, I am now your newest follower~ Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm missing your posts, Diane! Thanks for popping in to see me and hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so good! Definitely adding it to my recipe stash. I LOVE cornbread and this looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Man this sounds good!!!! I am going to make it this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments!

I love reading your comments.
Thank you for each and every one!